Thursday 11 September 2014

Not Ready for the Cold

It's already starting to get cold and now that it's September I am panicking because I am not ready for it.  Not at all.  In fact, I was so determined to ignore this end-of-summer feeling that I felt that it was necessary to keep my summer dream alive so I designed some fun, summery nail art creations to cheer me up.  Take a peek:

The shine on these is exactly why I love Seche Vite's Dry Fast Top Coat!

It's a pretty easy design to replicate, all you need are three different coloured nail polishes, one being a black shade, a base and top coat plus some dotting tools which you can buy really easily (and really cheaply!) off eBay.  I began this design by applying my OPI Original Nail Envy Nail Strengthener to my nails as my base coat and then applied my Seche Vite Dry Fast Top Coat to make them look super shiny as there is no base colour involved in this nail art look.  Then grabbing a smallish (technical term for you there!) dotting tool, I used Barry M's Nail Paint in Matt White to dot on the petals of my flower.  Essentially, you want five petals for the flower so think of a star shape when doing this and it'll make it a little easier, or at least that logic made it easier for me.  For the next step, I used the next size up in dotting tool and selected a Rimmel London nail polish in a yellow shade called Cute as a Kitten Heel and then added a dot to the centre of each flower.  Following on from that, I grabbed my smallest dotting tool and used Barry M's Nail Paint in Black to add a little dot to my white petals just to add a slight bit of definition.  I finished off this design with a slick of the Seche Vite Dry Fast Top Coat and then they were good to go!

Nail polishes used from left to right: OPI Original Nail Envy Nail Strengthener, Seche Vite Dry Fast Top Coat, Rimmel London Lasting Finish in the shade Cute as a Kitten Heel, Barry M Nail Paint in the shade Black and Barry M Nail Paint in the shade Matt White.  Dotting tools purchased via eBay (and yes, some are a little broken, don't judge!).

I absolutely love my flower nail art design, it makes me smile and for a second or two I can almost trick myself into believing that it's still July and summer is in full swing and that the shops aren't already getting in their Halloween stock and displaying their Christmas cards (really Clinton's, REALLY?!).

It's pretty clear from this post that I am a 'summer girl' and I feel so blue when it's over, it's just...I really hate the cold, mostly because about 90% of my wardrobe is made up of summer clothing.  I love being able to wear crop tops, shorts, skorts, mini skirts, maxi skirts, maxi dresses, summer dresses and flowers in my hair.  I am not a fan of having to wear bulky coats, about five billion layers of clothing just to keep warm, gloves (have you ever tried to use your iPhone wearing mittens?  Just don't even go there!) and woolly hats (nobody wants crazy-lady hat hair.  Not a good look.), plus my nose, hands and feet stay perpetually cold until spring finally reappears once again to make those trees blossom and the daffodils erupt from their bulbs just to say 'haaaaai'. 

 
Only bought my favourite summer outfit last month and I'm just not ready to say goodbye yet (black crop top from Topshop and high waisted vintage Levi 501 jean shorts by Peekaboo Vintage from Topshop's Oxford Circus flagship store).

Ok, so now that I've got my anti-winter rant out the way I can move onto something else -  'Phew!' is probably what you're all thinking right now and I don't blame ya!  Anti-winter rant over.   

So I bought the last ever hard copy issue of Company Magazine this week and I've got to say, I'm pretty gutted that it's only going to be available in digital format from now on.  I mean, I get why Hearst (the publisher of Company Magazine) has made the decision to go all-out digital but personally, I think that you can't beat the actual feel of holding a magazine in your hands, flicking through it and inhaling that fresh, just-published magazine scent and sometimes occasionally using it as a fan when it's really hot on the tube and you're pretty sure that you're about to pass out.   

Farewell my old friend, I'll see you again (it'll just be via a screen!). 

Anyway, let me know what you think about anything and everything that I've covered in this post because it'll make my day that teensy bit more interesting!

 

2 comments:

  1. I wish I had as steady hand as you to do those nails!! I'm so gutted about company too xx

    Lucy Cole | A UK Fashion, Style and Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's honestly just down to practice, it's the only way to win against unsteady hands! Haha. I'm so glad that I'm not the only one gutted about Company as well, I was really surprised that they decided to go down that route but I get why they have, it's just a shame that there's no choice now that it's only available in a digital format but oh well!
      Amanda x

      Delete